Wednesday, April 21, 2010

To the Pain

This is day one of a 9 day round of prednisone to treat the pain in my hands and feet. The diagnosis is gout. Even though I have none of the contributing factors to that call other than the pain and swelling. Although a clinical diagnosis seemingly is enough to prescribe this kind of treament, the "gold standard" is to aspirate the joint of the great toe (stick a needle in it and draw out fluid) and see if there's uric acid present. Well, that's not going to happen, I assure you. And for good reason: I'm deathly allergic to needles. I thought this would be a good way to journal the treatment and see what happens.

According to wikipedia (THE most reliable source known to mankind):
Prednisone
is a synthetic corticosteroid drug that is particularly effective as an immunosuppressant, and affects virtually all of the immune system. It is used to treat certain inflammatory diseases... but has significant adverse effects. It is usually taken orally... Prednisone is a prodrug that is converted by the liver into prednisolone, which is the active drug and also a steroid...

Here is a list of the side effects:

Major

Minor

The idea is to reduce or eliminate the pain in my hands and feet. And then start the drug for gout, allopurinol. Which, over time controls the level of uric acid on the blood. In some ways I'm looking forward to this, but as far as the possible side effects; not so much.

I have had prednisone treatment before. Following both ear surgeries, I took it to reduce inflammation and promote healing. It worked with no adverse effects, at least that I'm aware of. So, hopefully this time will be the same.

If this gets rid of the pain, I'm all for it.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment